Facts About Organ Donation
- 21 people die every day while waiting for a transplant.
- 1 organ donor can save 8 lives and change the lives of more than 50 people.
- Almost anyone can be an organ donor, regardless of age or medical history.
- All major religions in the U.S. support organ donation.
- Donors can still have open casket funerals, and organ donation doesn't cost the donor's family any money.
- If a person is hospitalized, the medical staff provides the best possible care, regardless of organ donor status. Donation is only considered after a patient has died.
- Donors are needed for all races and ethnic groups. Transplant success rates increase when organs are matched between members of the same ethnic background.
- Signing the back of your license or a donor card is not enough. To officially register as an organ donor, click here.