National Donor Sabbath
Every year, National Donor Sabbath is celebrated two weekends before Thanksgiving. This is a time for congregations of all faiths and beliefs to celebrate the most selfless gift there is--organ donation.
This year, National Donor Sabbath Weekend will be observed November 13-15, but you can choose any weekend to shed light on this event. This is an opportunity for the faith-based community to explore how organ donation can enhance their spiritual mission. We hope that you will choose to observe National Donor Sabbath to help your members make informed life decisions and help turn heartbreak into hope. Choosing to become an organ donor reflects one’s deepest beliefs regarding the sanctity and importance of life.
You can participate in this weekend in a number of different ways by choosing whatever type of activity works best for your congregation.
Below are a few ideas of how to incorporate the Donor Sabbath message into your service, and there are more resources included in our Donor Sabbath Resource Guide.
- Incorporate NFT’s message of organ donor awareness into sermons, school assemblies, or classes during or around National Donor Sabbath.
- Show NFT’s National Donor Sabbath video or our shorter Help and Hope for Transplant Patients video.
- Collect a special offering to support NFT’s mission.
- Host prayer breakfast in honor of those awaiting a lifesaving transplant.
- Distribute information and materials before, during, or after services.
- Encourage others to consider the gift of organ donation.
For more Donor Sabbath ideas to incorporate into your church services, click here.
For more information on National Donor Sabbath and ways to be involved, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org or 901-684-1697.